Sunday, May 13, 2012

This is Power


I stand majestically, the wind screaming against my hair.
Whipping crisply, flinging morning dew
Towards the ground.
This is power.

My legs are planted firmly into the ground
Shoulders are back, chin raised as a salute.
Eyes piercing the horizon, enveloping all that exists
This is power.

Everyone surrounds me, eyes glazed, sitting at my feet
Awe. Wonder.
“Why thank you, how kind.” I say.
I smile, they faint.
This is power.

With one single swoop I could kill them.
Break them with words.
Break them with the rage reverberating through my veins.
But I feel Your presence behind me,
And I stop.

My piercing eyes well up, afraid to turn.
I see now that it was my choice to stand,
To hold myself higher than those around me.
Frightened, I remain upright.
Standing is all I’ve ever known.

I feel You approaching.
My heartbeat quickens with Your pace.
Tears stain my proud being.
You are right behind me, Your breath in my ear.
“Surrender, let me guide you.”
I am a child.

Anxiety increases as I fight You.
I will not be a child like them.
“You are them,” You whisper.
No. I will stand tall. I am better. I say so.
My mind spinning, too many thoughts.
I can’t. I can’t. I can’t.
I turn.
And I collapse, the child that I am, in Your arms.
Power.


No comments:

Post a Comment