Thursday, May 17, 2012

In Memoriam


Hilary--
I wasn’t expecting that phone call last night,
The one that said you were gone.

(Wearing our springy, lacy dresses
tied in at the waist,
putting flower crowns in our hair.)

Tears bled from my eyes
I slept in my parents’ bed
But no sleeping was had
Just sat.
And thought.

(You show me this rock down by the river.
It’s your favorite spot
My heart is happy.)

You’ve shined so bright, my dear friend.
So bright for so short of a time
Like a beautiful firework,
Exploding joy and laughter, and then gone.

(We roll down the tall, grassy field.
You laugh, and I laugh because you’re laughing--
It brings back memories.)

I’m so glad for our last few weeks together
Unspoken forgiveness.
“Let’s grab lunch sometime.”
“Yes! I miss you!”

(We speak of Anastasia, our desire to be
Princesses.
Souls marveling, joyous jumping.
We are free.)

5/16/12  <3


1 comment:

  1. friend, this is beautiful. i'm praying for ya, i love you.

    ReplyDelete