Thursday, February 6, 2014

Why I'm Excited to be a Mission Year Team Member: Reason One


1. Living in a city.

 *  *  *

You can tell me that you find God in the whisper of wind marinating in a meadow.
That the perfection of the pine and the lilies of lime move you to turn your face and acknowledge Him.
That the trees, breeze and sunsets melt on your face in a serenade of unrelenting pursuit.
And that would all be fine, all fine.

But I find God in the mess of the broken
(Which is all of us)
It remains unspoken
That the more people round me that gather and bleed point me to the seed that grows into Everlasting.

It can be the dealer who tells me of his past
And the Light he has found, but at long last
He keeps wheeling and dealing (and sometimes stealing)
But falls on his knees at night and weeps unworthy.

It is their stories—the stories of others.
The testimonies of love, of my sisters and brothers
Walking from sidewalk to street to alley to greet
Others in this place we call the city.

I find God in the “Greater things have yet to come.”
Of the reconciliation, restoration (new words to some)
The words that are too great to fully relate the overarching Restoration I so desperately yearn for.

For.
For.
I see God in their faces.
My fellow city dwellers, looking for grace it’s
A reflection of the power’s sovereignty when we equate failing with poverty and throw people under a bus for the sake of our lust for success and comfort.


So I find God in the mess of the city,
A city that some would label “pity”
But I see Hope.


And Hope has a name. 







For anyone interested in supporting me in my Mission Year journey through financial gifts:
https://missionyear.thankyou4caring.org/donate
Designation: Amber Cullen


No comments:

Post a Comment