Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tonight's Menu at Urban Gardens: Fried Squash and Zucchini


“Can I come in?” comes a small voice from the door frame. The beads in her hair frame her big brown eyes that gaze at me with the innocent intensity that only small children can muster.

She is four. Four years old. Day after day her three-year-old sister and her swing on the swings in the Crabbs’ yard. Day after day right at 2:15pm we call the kids in for summer camp, and these two follow the crowd. Day after day I look into their beautiful brown eyes and say, “You are too young to go to summer camp, sweet ones. Head home, okay?”

But this particular evening is a little different.

It is the night of Urban Gardens, and kids and adults alike are gathered around tables to make fresh fried zucchini and squash. Instead of our usual number, we are lower than usual with kids—a mere five children and nearly that many adults. My mind quickly processes the sanity ratio for the five adult volunteers if a young one is added into the mix.

I walk over and share my thoughts with the leader of Urban Gardens. “Miss Anne? Lovely Delilah* here would like to come participate. Would it be okay to add one more? She’s young, but…” I trail off as my thoughts become apparent to us both.

There is a pause, followed by, “Yeah; let her in! We can do that.”

With a smile I kneel down to talk to Delilah. “Hey! Guess what? You can come in today.” Her face lit up immediately. “Know that this is a special occasion though, as there aren’t many kids. You understand that this may not happen again, right? Four is still too young for program, but we have enough help today that you can come in!”

She says that she understands, and shyly steps into the activities. Shortly after her sister came as well, and so did another young one that tags along with the both of them. Saying yes to one is a yes to all, so three young ones were added to eclectic mix at Gardens this night.


·      *  *  *

Yes, the time this evening consisted of many hand washings, a lot of guidance, and the shortest attention spans I have ever seen from these three young ones, yet there was so much joy in their faces knowing that they got to participate in something they have never had the opportunity to this summer. Delilah wanted to help crack eggs, wanted to help with this and that, showing more zeal for helping than in many I have met. Her sister looked up at me at snack time and said, “Can I have moor Rwanch please?,” perfectly melting my heart with every honest word. For this one evening, I had the privilege of assuring them that they are valued and valuable through spending quality time together, instead of sending them home daily, which in my opinion has the potential to enforce a “you’re not good enough” mentality.

This evening at Urban Gardens with the three girls was such a beautiful representation of the beauty of gifts. The young ones received the gift of time at Urban Gardens with such joy. They gave gifts through smiles, innocent words, and pure motives. There were gifts in reading books together and gifts in eating a snack with “the big kids.” There were gifts in their big brown eyes and their demeanor of peace. Others in their situation may have felt entitled to be able to come to every program, yet these young ones showed me humility, what it is to live moment by moment, and the peace that comes with taking life in stride. Needless to say, by the end of the time all of the volunteers' hearts were sufficiently melted.

These little ones taught me a lot tonight.

And for that, I am incredibly grateful.  




*Name has been changed

1 comment: