Monday, August 10, 2015

Watercolors: A Lament


I remember standing at the trolley stop watching
the pigeons eating mounds of rice on the sidewalk
and I cried because I thought they were going to
die because their stomachs would swell from the rice and explode.
It reminded me of when I was younger 
and how I read about survivors of concentration camps
and how they ate too much food too fast after being released 
and they died and how it made me sad because 
their first taste of freedom after being held captive for so long
was their unintentional death sentence.

Maybe I was crying because of the pigeons but
maybe I was crying because of the people
I don't really know anymore sometimes it's hard to figure out
because everything is really sad and everyone is in pain
and much like watercolors it all blends together.

One day on the trolley I stared at a woman who looked so incredibly sad
and I wanted to give her a hug but I was white and she was black
and I didn’t know her so I just stared at her until
I got off at my stop and cried and wondered if maybe I should have 
just talked with her anyway even though she was black and I was white
but she was sad and even if I don't understand what it is 
to be black I understand what it is to be sad 
and maybe a hug would have been nice for both of us.

Sometimes I stare at the sun and think about all of the people in all of the world
who are looking up at the same time at the exact same sun and I wonder 
about how we got to a point where we're so disconnected 
and how everything is sad and everyone is in pain 
and how its like a watercolor painting in the rain 
and how tears are for pigeons and people and all of creation.



No comments:

Post a Comment