Thursday, January 22, 2015

Lament:(v)

Today is a day of ache.
It is a day of facing my own depraved humanity right in the mirror.
“White privilege is alive and well and it’s me.”
I think it could be nice to take a little vacation from this nation.
Maybe my journey would take me to another country where I can act as if the world is not one giant groaning system of people mistreating people mistreating nations not listening to nations and we sit and stare and wonder “When, O Lord, will this all end?!”
Maybe it would be nice.
But that nation would have its fair share of non-flourishing as well.
(No matter where I go I see the brokenness of the sun.)


Some days I can’t remember what it is to flourish in a world of fear.
Some days like today I weep with anger and pain as I feel a sliver of what life might be like for another whose life is marked by a constant state of societal oppression.
Some days I wonder if I have ever truly chosen to love after all (for I more often choose fear than unmasking honesty.)


I wonder.
I wonder what it would be like to dance on the back patio in the snow.
Maybe we could build a snowperson together, and you could teach me your name.
We could fumble through the awkward misunderstandings that come along with navigating one another’s difference culture.
Maybe we would talk about our families or what brings us life.
It would be a challenge, but it would be a relationship deep in grace and forgiveness.
Maybe, just maybe
We can build a glimpse of the put-together-sun—
Together.







(We are a unified breath of humanity.)


1 comment:

  1. "No matter where I go I see the brokenness of the sun"

    Beautiful! I wish I had written that!

    My thought: No matter where you look you can see the brokenness of the son. The son broken for the broken, for the desperate, the lonely, and to stand as a light for those who seek to change the way things are.

    I wish I had the courage to be what you are.
    You need to write more!

    ReplyDelete