Thursday, June 5, 2014

Join the "Support Amber Cullen" Rally





*  *  *

On September 5, 2014, I will be boarding a plane to Atlanta for Mission Year orientation. Days later, I will be heading to Philadelphia for the year to live in a community, extend my skillsets to a local community partner, and live with 5-6 other Team Members in community. 

...GULP.


 

Today I feel like a deer in headlights--kinda shocked that this is all going down, honestly. As excited as I am to navigate new environments, to intentionally live in a community with a community, to build better spiritual disciplines, and to learn about what justice and peacebuilding might look like through the eyes of Jesus Christ, I am still frequently floundering in shock. Nothing triggers this feeling of being overwhelmed more than when I begin to think about how much money I have to raise to cover my living expenses for Mission Year--$12,000. 

I've been reminded recently of the beauty of interdependence--of people supporting one another. This in essence is what I'm asking people to do when I'm asking for donations for my living expenses in Philly--I'm asking them to support me, and this support is in the form of monetary donations. There has only been one other time in my life where I remember feeling this beautifully interdependent, where I needed the support of others to further a goal. This was the summer of 2011 when I was in the running for a NATIONAL scholarship and needed the support of people's votes.

Three summers ago I won a $10,000 national scholarship through Bridgestone Americas, but that was only possible as the entire Springfield Township, Bowling Green, and Akron communities rallied behind me and voted for my "Phone Bandit" Safety Scholars video. That was a crazy impossible thing to happen, and it wouldn't have happened without people backing me and spreading the word (and all of this occurred in only a month!) 

A screenshot from "The Phone Bandit"

These flyers were passed out to hundreds in the Greater Akron area
Right after I found out I was the 1st place winner; I BAWLED

 

































Just as rallying those "Phone Bandit" votes and winning that gift of a scholarship would not have been possible without Springfield Township, Bowling Green, and Akron communities, so it is with rallying the financial support for my upcoming Mission Year in Philadelphia.

If three summers ago these communities rallied behind me to help me go to college, these communities will rally behind me once again to help me move to Philly for a year to get a different (yet just as valuable) kind of education. I truly believe that. Right now, there has been about $2,500 raised; by summer's end I envision being at $10,000, just three summers ago $10,000 was gifted through they rallying of votes. 



How you can help in this rally and support me through your gifts and networks:

1. Donate through my fundraising page online-- https://missionyear.thankyou4caring.org/ambercullen


2. Donate through writing a check (Made out to "Mission Year"; Memo Line: "Amber Cullen 14-9011") Send to "Mission Year / P.O. Box 17628 / Atlanta, GA 30316"


3. Utilize your network: Do you know of a peer, family member, boss, or business person whom you think would be interested in supporting me financially? Refer them to me! (Or me to them!) ( <--- This would be a HUGE help!)


4. Do you know of a business, organization, etc. that offer grants or support for people pursuing a "year of service"? Let a sista know, please!


5. Do you go to a church that you believe would be interested in hearing me speak about Mission Year this summer OR do you go to a church that you believe might be interested in financially supporting me? Can you connect me with your church?


 
*  *  *


I believe that everyone reading this has something they are able to give, whether it be a connection, financial support, advice, experience, or networks. (And all of these are SO valuable!)

                                   How can you help out? What can you give?

Thanks, dear Springfield Township, Bowling Green, Akron, "and beyond" communities, for helping me in this journey of discovery about what it may look like to "love my neighbor as myself" and to Love God, and Love People.


*Pictures (beginning and end) are from my commUNITY fundraiser event held in Bowling Green.

No comments:

Post a Comment