Friday, November 29, 2013

The Strangest Fast Food Restaurant I've Ever Been To


         During the trip I found myself again and again recognizing the differences in lifestyles from people that I observed and my own. There were small differences (like what is about to be described), and large differences, such as subway riding to get everywhere, many angry demeanors from residents, and a visibility of homelessness (as well as being able to purchase expensive wine just because you felt like it.) The injustices in the city are incredibly tangible and apparent, something I'm not used to. This picture was chosen to relay a story about a small difference that I witnessed between someone from New York City and myself that involved White Castle.
Before we went to Mothers on the Move, a friend and I stopped at White Castle for a bite to eat.
Needless to say, it was…an experience.
Upon walking in, I was hit with an immediate sense that this place was different than any fast food restaurant that I had been to in my life. Why? Well, for starters there was a glass panel covering the entirety of the serving area, cash registers and all. I can only guess that it was a bulletproof glass situation, making me question if there were thefts in this area frequently. The thick glass had a circle to talk through and a slot near the bottom to push my money under and where my food would be given. It reminded me of the glass that you typically see in the box office.
After ordering, I found that had to go to the restroom. However, I immediately was hit with another difference—the door leading to the hallway of the restrooms was locked, as indicated by a red light. I had to go up to the cashier to ask if she could unlock the hallway, and it was only then that I could get access to the bathroom (and that doesn’t even cover the security cameras that were keeping a close eye on the entrance of the bathroom).  
A few minutes later, my friend and I then sat down to enjoy our small meal when another customer came into the White Castle. The man ordered three small burgers.
Hey, I hear you, reader! I hear you saying, “So what? No big deal. He ordered three burgers…I don’t get it. What’s so different?”
Well, get this—he paid in change.
It was such a small difference, but it really revealed a lot to me. I paid for my two-dollar meal with a $5 bill. This man was paying for his three-dollar meal in change—change that he was picking out of various pockets on his jacket, while the cashier and him made small talk (he was definitely a regular).
How often (or always) I take for granted that I can drop $5 at the hat of a dime. How often (or always) I take for granted that I don’t have to make sure I have enough to cover the bill because I know I do. It is what I’m used to, after all. It’s what I’ve experienced; it’s my norm.
But it’s not everyone’s norm…
(And secretly, I’m starting to wonder if my “norm” is a good “norm” at all. Secretly, I'm starting to wonder if my norm of excess affects another negatively. And secretly, I'm unsure what to do with that thought as a possible reality.)
(But don’t tell anyone, reader. I’m still working it out, all right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment