Sunday, May 26, 2013

Intern's Introspections: Week 1



“Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this city
Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done here.”



South Street. Like every other area, South Akron and Summit Lake is a place of brokenness. The brokenness of this area manifests itself in different ways—a through addictions, abuse, and anger/violence. People are homeless, in poverty, incarcerated, and stuck in cycles that make in nearly impossible for one to get out alone or even with help. Granted, the sentences above are huge stereotypes and are not to be interpreted as the case for everyone in the city, as each person has their own individualistic experiences. These are simply observations after spending a week immersed in this area and listening to those who have lived here for a while.

Growing up in the suburbs of Akron, I have not had much experience in the city. From going down a one-way street the wrong way, to getting stuck in a parking deck, it is obvious that my knowledge is limited. For this reason, being at South Street has been a bit of a culture shock. In the last week I have found myself perplexed by the reality that I live a mere 10 minutes from this area and yet it seems like I’m traveling between different cultures entirely. People around South Street walk on the side walks, confidently, heads down or looking out. Bikes dart around cars on narrow lanes. People walk in groups to the corner store, coming out with Pepsi and candy. When I am at South Street, I am in the minority, as a majority of the people I interact with are African American.

When I travel the twelve minutes to my house, it all changes. I am suddenly the majority as a Caucasian in the suburban area that I live in. Silence encompasses the streets, as all are in their households. People aren’t walking about. Even by the lake, it is clear that everyone sticks to themselves—there is little interaction with others. There are high values of safety and security (manifesting itself in the form of comfort) that hang think in the air. The environments are strangely perplexing when put together. Again, these are huge generalizations of these areas, and are not to be taken as the reality of what each one is. It simply reflects my experiences as I commute and spend a lot of time in each environment every day.

If there’s one thing I have been so swept up with this week is the possibilities of people and the impact we can have on our surroundings if action is taken. My heart is aching for my generation. My generation has the potential (as all do) to utilize their strengths for the common good. Yet in my own life, I have found that I, among others, am stuck in cycles of apathy and complacency. For me, it took discovering that my life’s story isn’t about me that drove me to other-centered action. The question I have rolling in my mind is this: What conviction can bring a generation to action? At South Street Ministries, action abounds. For the ministry, it comes from a conviction Christ’s resurrection and the implications of this. On the website in the mission section it is stated that “We are Christians, but Christ's sake is deeper. For the sake of Christ we suffer, serve, give, and lose to see Christ formed in our neighbor and in ourselves.” The conviction of Christ’s love leads those in the ministry to action, including myself.

In this past week, I have seen the power of love in action, and the restoration and reconciliation that active love can bring. Example after example could be listed here, as it is part of the reason I was so drawn to South Street Ministries in the first place. I yearn to see this active love lived out throughout the city, and not only in the city, but in the suburbs and in the country. I yearn to see active love among the rich and poor, that hands would connect and that these two groups would be bridged in compassion. I yearn to see black and white finally transformed and seen as colors, not race constructions and excuses for discrimination and hate. I yearn to see gender not being abused as power that is used to cripple another. I yearn, I yearn, I yearn.

And I truly believe that these can be realities that are strived for in my generation and through my generation. With the courage to be vulnerable, we can approach one another and try to find a common ground on which we can stand. Constructs can be knocked down through active love. People can own their strengths and give them as gifts to one another and aid with the process of reconciliation through active love.

Of course, this all sounds great in theory, but my question as I finish my first week at South Street Ministries is still this:

What conviction can bring a generation to action?


As always, if one feels as if I have misrepresented someone in some way or if something I have said has been bothersome, please bring it to my attention and into the light so we can talk about it together.

Much love,
Am



“Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this city
Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done here.”

From: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgQccYki-9Y
South Street Ministries: www.southstreetministries.org


No comments:

Post a Comment