Wednesday, December 26, 2012

to Abide: an Exploration


What does it mean to abide in You?


abide (v)- to continue in a place : sojourn


To sojourn with You,
To sojourn, to travel with Love.
Daily.
To travel with Love as I am at the grocery store.
To travel with Love as I brush my teeth.
To travel with Love as I confront a friend,
To travel with Love as I discover more clearly who You are.


Jesus said:
 
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 
Every branch of mine that bears no fruit, he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 
You are already made clean by the word which I have spoken to you.
Abide in me, and I in you. 
As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.
I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 
If a man does not abide in me, he is cast forth as a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire and burned. 
If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you."

John 15:1-7


Through all of this change, keep me close to Peace.
Changes of worldview.
Realizations of insignificance, and privileges based on outer shells.
To sojourn with You as these realities are revealed and I am increasingly filled with sorrow at the state of myself and the world.
Sorrow that leads me to change.


Hold me near, when I am restless

Hold me near, when I am bitter

Hold me near, when I'm rebellious

Hold me near until the end



Hold me near, when my heart is broken

Hold me near, when I'm ignorant 

Hold me near, when I am jealous

Hold me near until the end


Abiding.
Hold me near, as I am now weak.
Hold me near, when I feel “strong.”
Hold me near when I push You away and choose my own power over You.
Hold me near through doubts and fears.
Hold me.

I trust You.
I trust in You.
I trust that the Hands that crafted the cosmos,
The fish with the big gills and eyes—the redwood forest
I trust that these hands also crafted me.
And that although it is way beyond my understanding,
I trust that these Hands care about ME.
Deeply.
And that I am cared for, I, a little speck of dust
Loved by the Creator.


Job 33:4
"The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life."

Psalm 139:14
"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."


It doesn’t make any sense to me.
Why I’m not expected to be strong in this relationship.
Why I’m not expected to “have my stuff together” all the time
And have everything figured out.
Yet isn’t that the beauty of the Gospel?
That we are Loved even in our insignificance and ignorance?
Grace.


Romans 5:8
"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: 
While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."


What is it to abide in grace?
To Abide in Christ as living grace?
Help me to learn.
Help me to surrender.
Help me to abide.
I want to know You.




No comments:

Post a Comment